Skipp, Mike, and others,

A ham club member has a tracking signal generator/spectrum analyzer that
he said has recently been calibrated. He re-tuned the duplexer for me.
Now the receiver hears better than before, but the de-sense has not
changed much.

I have tried the repeater with and without the receiver pre-amp and with
and without the power amplifier. The de-sense changes magnitude as you
might expect, but it is still significant. And without the power
amplifier we are down to only 5 watts, not enough to cover our intended
area.

I am suspecting that the receiver or transmitter is off frequency enough
to be a problem. Actually, the receiver pass band appears to be broad
enough that I don't think receiver frequency can be the problem, but if
the transmitter is off a bit, it could be away from the notches in the
duplexer receive channel. Does this make sense?

I'm not sure what to do next. Any suggestions?

The spec on the duplexer (Motorola T-1504A) is 80 dB of receiver
isolation at transmitter frequency. Also, the minimum separation is
given as 2 MHz while we have 5 MHz. This would seem to give enough
isolation, wouldn't it? Should I be considering six cans giving about
100 dB of separation?

John