If you want to use the battery to isolate you from the input voltage
variations, try connecting the repeater directly to the battery and use a diode
from your power supply to the battery.  I think Eric was mentioning a diode
scheme he uses just the other day.

I have operated several repeaters directly from a battery with a standard
battery charger connected to the battery to supply the charge.  An interesting
side effect was that the power meter stopped turning.  Apparently the very
short conduction angle at the peaks of the sine wave from the charger does not
last long enough for the meter disk to get moving.

I prefer using a battery charger to using a power supply so that a completely
discharged battery can be recharged by the battery charger where a power supply
may fold back and require some intervention to get it going again.  If you use
this method, be careful to connect the charger directly to the battery and
power the repeater directly from the battery.  Do not allow any common path
between the charger and the repeater or you will see some EMI due to having a
common current path.  The peak current from the charger can be quite high since
the conduction angle is very low.

I use a battery with wing nut terminals as well as the standard battery posts.
Clamp the charger to the posts and power the repeater from the wing nuts.

73 - Jim  W5ZIT