Eric Lemmon wrote:
> Terry,
>
> Perhaps you are hearing them on an image frequency.  Rest assured, the
> frequency you specified, 461.58125 MHz, cannot legally be used by any
> Public-Safety agency.  I sincerely doubt that a police agency would
> deliberately set up shop on a frequency that they are not authorized to use.
> But hey, some rules are made to be broken, and it won't be the first time
> that a small police or fire department uses a frequency without the benefit
> of a license or proper coordination!
>
> 73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY

There's a police dept here using a frequency licensed to a local farmer
on VHF. They have a whopper repeater outputing there.

We believe the dealer told them that since they are public safety, they
can use anything they want as long as they have 'a' license for
something. They've been known to put PS customers on the air in places
they aren't licensed for.