Hi John,

I'm not familiar with that particular radio, but would it be possible to
disconnect the antenna feed at the Rx PCB and place a 50 ohm surface mount
resistor in it's place?
That may allow you to differentiate between shielding problems in the
receive antenna cabling and other possible issues of control wires and
receiver board shielding.  I guess it's a bit hard then to feed in a signal
on the receive frequency, but you may still be able to detect a change in
unsquelched noise when the Tx operates.

On another note, I presume you've probed around on the receive frequency as
well as the Tx frequency, and everything in between, including I.F.
frequencies?
Once I had a repeater that was being upset by a 5 volt three terminal
regulator chip that burst into oscillation at 50MHz when the supply dropped
slightly during transmit.
Another repeater had a similar problem with sidebands appearing a couple of
MHz either side of the transmitter.  It turned out to be a another voltage
regulator oscillating at about 1MHz (a discrete component circuit this
time).  Surprisingly a tiny bit of this got past all the bypass capacitors
and found it's way into the PA pre-driver where it mixed and produced the
sidebands.  Although the sidebands were more than 40dB below the
fundamental, even after the diplexer they presented a significant signal on
the receive frequency at the receiver input.  Of course the sidebands
drifted in frequency across the receive frequency, changing with temperature
just to make diagnosis all that more interesting!

Good Luck and 73,
Mark VK3BYY
Melbourne, Australia