On one specific cavity or more than one? You're almost at the
problem. No garbage with tapping, beating and banging is a good
sign. One might guess you have some type of micro pitting and
at least one hard point pitted contact on one of the mating
surfaces.

One or more of the metal plunger contact surfaces has a not
easily viewed problem.  Just cleaning might not cure it....
sometimes you need to replace finger stock and or have at the
surfaces with the proper cleaning brush/function.

You didn't say how you'd cleaned the surface in the past. I would
only use a Brass or hard Stainless Steel brush to avoid embedding
non same metals into the plunger or contact surface. Using a common
steel wire brush is not a good idea.

s.