OR, Hi, Hi!  You could just do what someone did to the Astron RM-50 I recently
rebuild with the help of these guys on the R-P website.

What someone did was to, wire and solder A jumper across the A/C HOT input.
Then to avoid any shutting down, they disconnected the +12 wire to the Crowbar
SCR and tie it across the Neg (GND) wire.  Basically, if and when the Crowbar
ever tripped, it would never short anything.  Anode and Cathode were both tied
top GND.  Problem solved, Hi, Hi!

This Power Supply sure was A mess after A direct Lightning hit to the 100' plus
tower.  Most of the current went down the tower or Guy wires, but enough went
through the not turned-on Astron.  No doubt A mess but at least the Power
X-Former was still OK.

Speaking of Lightning, some head into this area right now. Gotta go!

All comments here were meant as SARCASM!

Bruce Bagwell
KE5TPN

The United States will be
"The Land Of The Free"
only so long as it is
"The Home Of The Brave!"

Support Our Troops!!!

For without them,
you might be speaking
German, Japanese, or Korean!

Every linear Astron I've ever owned had an issue with vhf getting
into the regulator thru the 12vdc output leads.

I've always cured the issue by putting a 0.01 cap across the output
studs & another to the chassis from the pos stud. Additionally, you
could put one from the neg stud to the chassis as well.

You may need to experiment with the value.

Always worked for me.

I dont recall mine ever blowing the fuse though.

Blowing the fuse could mean the regulator was off in lala land where
it couldn't sense an overcurrent condition or control the output
voltage thus causing the scr to trigger.
rtc

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "n9wys" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> For the learned group here.
>snipped.....
>
> Now - here's the WEIRD part. when I was at the tower with another
tech and replaced the fuse the time before the last failure, we tried
to use his DMM to check the P/S fuse for continuity. His meter acted
as if the battery was dead - but later investigation revealed that
the meter was getting hit with RF from another transmitter at the
site. So I'm thinking that the RF problem may or may not be directly
related to MY transmitter. (There is VHF 100W MICOR transmitter
directly next to my equipment rack that is on 161.325, and transmits
24/7/365.)