Have you contacted Astron directly?
I blew mine up, yup, dangling keys touching one of the transistors
and the case will let the smoke out in a hurry...and have an
incredible heating effect on the key. ļ

Afterwards, I called Astron and talked to a tech. He was excellent
and walked me through various tests on the unit and what were
considered probable parts failures along with recommended
replacements and upgrades.
I did as he suggested and after the parts were installed, he again
walked me through a post install test sequence to assure it was
working. It does and has worked well ever since with zero issues. The
unit is quieter, doesn¡¦t bang so obnoxiously on start up and
maintains excellent voltage stability.

One of the last posts regarding voltages and some of the others
regarding the SCR triggered a recall that this was one of the same
areas of discussion I had with the tech about a year ago.

May be worth a call, they seemed very nice and accommodating when I
called in and may have had calls on what you are trying to remedy.

A side note about the common transistors used on many of the Astrons,
like the 20 and 50RM¡¦s I have, work great in the Motorola R100
repeater. If your R100 runs warm even without transmitting, power
supply fails, or seems to act strange at times, try changing out the
two power transistors mounted in the heat sink. Most will slide right
out, some have a dab of over zealous solder to remove but the reward
is a cold heat sink until it is put to work and even then, at a much
reduced heat than before.

Travis
AA9NV

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "n9wys" <n9...@...> wrote:

> For the learned group here.
>

> I know there has been some discussion on one the list regarding
Astron Power
> supplies.  Unfortunately, searching hasn't revealed what I am
looking for,
> so I pose my query here and apologize in advance if this was a
subject that
> was discussed at length in the past.  I will describe my problem in
detail,
> so forgive me for being so verbose right off the bat; but I figure
if I
> provide a lot of info now, it will avoid a lot of question and
answer
> exchanges later in order to get an understanding of my problem.
>

> I have a UHF ham repeater system (TKR-820 as transmitter, MICOR
SpectraTAC
> receiver and comparator, Astron RM-70 Power Supply, and Crescend
150W P/A)
> that is experiencing issues with the power supply.  Seems that when
the
> repeater is on the air for any time (for example, over three minutes
> key-down) the power supply blows a fuse.  The first time this
happened, I
> changed out the P/S with a MICOR supply I had from a 100W
continuous duty
> station.  It also blew THAT fuse.  The Astron supply that blew the
fuse had
> two bad diodes in the rectifier, so that was repaired.  There was
nothing
> found wrong with the Motorola supply, other than the main fuse had
blown.

> I took the PA back to Crescend, but they found nothing wrong with
the P/A.
> The station was put back on the air with the repaired Astron
supply.  Was on
> the air for about two weeks, and failed again while I was talking
to another
> ham.  Went back to the tower and found the fuse blown again in the
supply.
> I took the PA offline and brought it back to Crescend, told them of
the
> issue with the P/S, and that I needed them to check the PA for
problems.
> Their service tech called me and said he'd had the PA running on his
> workbench as we spoke, and had it transmitting for about 45 minutes
with no
> problems - all operating within spec (~32A nominal - 38A max draw @
165W
> output).  After we talked some more, he said he'd leave it run all
night.
> If it was OK, he'd ship it back. I got the PA back the following
Tuesday.  I
> put the station back on the air.
>

> In the meantime, I spoke with an engineer from Crescend who told me
that
> they had some experience with RF getting into Astron supplies. so
when I
> took the PA back to the tower, I put ferrites on the A+ and ground
leads to
> the P/S from the PA.  (There are about 10 wires altogether in the
power
> cable going to the PA - two bundles of three A+, and four
Grounds.)  I put
> three ferrites altogether on the DC lines, and made three turns
through the
> ferrites with each bundle.  These were installed as close as
physically
> possible to the power supply. I also put one turn on a ferrite for
the
> entire bundle at the PA end.  (Couldn't do more than that - was
running out
> of cable length for hook-up.)
>

> I replaced the fuse again, and got the station back on the air.
Worked for
> about 45 minutes (or long enough for me to be far enough away from
the tower
> where I couldn't make a return trip that day) and promptly blew the
fuse
> again. (Or so I suspect.)  I haven't had a chance to go back to
examine the
> cause of the failure this time - yet.
>

> Now - here's the WEIRD part.  when I was at the tower with another
tech and
> replaced the fuse the time before the last failure, we tried to use
his DMM
> to check the P/S fuse for continuity.  His meter acted as if the
battery was
> dead - but later investigation revealed that the meter was getting
hit with
> RF from another transmitter at the site.  So I'm thinking that the
RF
> problem may or may not be directly related to MY transmitter.
(There is VHF