At 12/21/2008 09:24, you wrote:

>Some of our local "start-up" radio clubs throwing repeater
>packages in place often start out using and stay with an
>external RF amplifier designed for mobile operation. Sometimes
>the amp runs so hot you can't keep your hand on the heat sink
>but I've yet to see one fail.
>

>cheers,
>skipp

70 °C, the upper operating temperature limit of many RF devices, is too hot
to touch.  However, MTBF will definitely be reduced.  In addition, without
better cooling the devices & board will experience greater temperature
extremes, which would result in more failures caused by thermal cycling.

Mobile amps often lack adequate power supply bypassing, resulting in a lot
of in-cabinet RF coming off the amp's power leads.  This can be avoided by
feeding the +12V through bypass capacitors or high current EMI
feedthroughs, & rerouting the - power connection directly to the case
instead of through an unbypassed terminal strip.

Bob NO6B