I have an Astron RM-35M (35Amp) that I just tested by shorting the output
and it doesn't blow the fuse.  I think I would be looking for something in  the
primary circuit that might be shorting like the transformer primary or the
surge arrestor or maybe the wiring.  I have seen transformers that short  after
they warm up a little.

Bill - WA0CBW

In a message dated 12/25/2008 10:11:11 P.M. Central Standard Time,
lar...@hotmail.com writes:

--- In  Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Kelsey"  <wb2...@...>
wrote:

> I have an old Bullet power supply  built from a kit (anyone remember
those?)
> that uses the 723. You  can short the output time and time again and it
> simply folds  back.

heheheh I have one of those still in service on a  repeater.  Re-capped
it a year ago and it still works fine.  As I  recall a shorted output
simply folds back, like you say.

I also have  two Astrons here on the bench.  One is a VS12, the other
is a  RS12.  When the output is directly shorted with heavy wire they
both  simply fold back.  Shorted them dozens of times; never a blown  fuse.

Laryn  K8TVZ

Yahoo!  Groups Links

**************Don't be the last to know - click here for the latest news that
will have people talking. (http://www.aol.com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000021)