From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:repeater-buil...@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of rb_n3...@tds.net
Sent: Monday, December 29, 2008 9:28 PM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Cc: Eric Lemmon
Subject: Re: [Repeater-Builder] Reed vs. Reedless Boards in Mitrek Radios

With the reedless board chip being nothing more than a simple resister
network, I wonder what your purity results might be if you built-up a 127.3
network using 1, 5,and 10% 1/8w resistors for comparison as well.
--
Doug
N3DAB/WPRX486/WPJL709

---- Eric Lemmon <wb6...@verizon.net <mailto:wb6fly%40verizon.net> > wrote:

=============
I recently acquired a Kenwood HM-250 Audio Distortion Analyzer, and I have
been experimenting with various CTCSS tone encoders to find which produce
the purest tones. Since I am putting together a 6m repeater using Mitrek
radios, I wanted to compare the older HLN4020B reed board to the newer
HLN4181A reedless board. What an eye-opener!

At the outset, my gut feeling was that the reed board would produce a purer
tone than the digital reedless board, since the reeds are essentially tuning
forks. That turned out to be a false assumption.

With two known-good tone boards hooked up on the bench, the 4020B reed board
consistently produced a 127.3 Hz tone with distortion ranging from 0.75% to
1.52%, while the 4181A reedless board produced the same tone with only 0.43%
distortion. I adjusted the output level pot (R23) on the 4181A board to
match the output level of the 4020B board. I tested the 4020B board with
six 127.3 Hz reeds.

Another interesting fact emerged from my experiment: Although the PL tone
reeds can be plugged into their sockets in either of two positions, I found
that there was definitely a difference in the amount of distortion produced.
The differences ranged from 0.1% up to 0.6%- not much, but surprising, since
the reeds are supposedly symmetrical. I got similar results with KLN6209A,
KLN6210A, and TLN6824A reeds.

For comparison, I measured the distortion at 127.3 Hz from several pieces of
test equipment, with the following results:

HP 204B Audio Generator: 0.24%
Motorola R2600D Service Monitor: 0.26%
Wavetek 188 Audio Generator: 0.19%
CSI TE-64D Tone Generator: 0.76%

My next step is to evaluate the purity of the CTCSS tones after passing
through an RF link. Some radios- cheap ones especially- use rather coarse
tone synthesis techniques to generate PL tones, and the resulting tones are
prone to falsing and talk-off problems. Stay tuned...

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY