I have the same problem here outside of the Chicago area... for reference,
I'm about 60 mi SW of Chicago.

I have three converters installed in my home to prepare for the transition -
they are on TVs in "non-critical" areas,  i.e., bedrooms, kids rooms, etc. I
have DirecTV for the primary TV sets (basement and family room).  Anyway,
the picture I receive via antenna is acceptable - there is some snow, but
the picture is perfectly viewable.  However, the converter boxes seem to
have less RX sensitivity, or something.  I can only get a fraction of
channels "available", and sometimes more channels than other times - for
example, the local NBC affiliate worked fine Tuesday night (we watched Leno)
but last night there was a LOT of digital artifacts and the audio was
terrible...  Picture had artifacts also.

For what it's worth, there is an overlay available that works with Google
Earth that will graphically show you the available coverage of any TV
station.  For the Chicago market, I find I'm on the fringe (unfortunately, I
live in a river valley, which also affects my reception) so I need to do
something with my antenna.  For years, I've had it in the attic with no
problem, but now it looks like it's going to have to go out - either on the
roof, or on the tower.

I have not checked to see if the newer digital TV transmitters are operating
at lower power levels than their analog counterparts, but I wonder if this
could be one reason for my experiences.  And of course, we're going to
transition in February - not the best time of the year to be climbing
towers.  (Hey FCC - why not transition in June when the weather is much more
conducive to tower activities?  Ah-h-h, government at work...  Gotta love
it.)

Good luck!
Mark - N9WYS