OK I promised that I'd reply back if I tried removal of the preamplifier.
Well, I did and it resulted in degraded reception.

Before removing the pre-amp, I could receive DTV channels 5 (with
artifacts), 7, 9, 11, 32, 35, 38, 44, and 50.  After removal, I received
only 9, 32, and 50.  So I guess the pre-amp is not introducing any noise
into the system affecting the DTV tuner.  I get all the analog channels: 2,
5, 7, 9, 11, 20, 23, 26, 32, 35, 38, 44, 50, 56, 60, 62, and 66... which
leads me to believe my antenna isn't too bad off yet.

As an aside, I did notice that the DTV tuner itself results in a MUCH less
viewable *analog* signal (remember, my boxes are "pass-through").  There
seems to be a LOT of insertion loss attributable to the tuner.  Again, my
box brand is Magnavox - not what I would consider a "fly-by-night" or
"no-name" manufacturer.  I don't know how to resolve this - or if it is even
a resolvable situation - but analog channels that were perfectly viewable
before placing the box inline became terrible afterward.  (I hate to use an
arbitrary reference for this, but it was as if a 20dB attenuator or similar
had been placed inline.)  And I understand that many channels have "moved"
from VHF to UHF...

Well, it certainly looks as if I'll need to install a new antenna outside
again... but I can't climb the tower now - I just had surgery.  Plus, it's
plain too cold to do it now.  So we'll see when Spring breaks.  But until
then I won't be able to support/patronize those who advertise on the
channels I can't see.  <grin>

Mark - N9WYS