--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Ricci" <b...@...> wrote:

 Using three separate radios at the same
> location and "manual voting" we can hear that at one moment unity
> gain is better, while at another one of the other antennas is better.

Bob, are/were you using three radios connected to the three
different-gain antennas and listening to the radios simultaneously?
If so, you have run into "diversity".  The changes/differences in
signal level in each receiver were not necessarily caused only by the
antenna gain.  They were caused by the very fact that the antennas are
physically in different locations.

Laryn K8TVZ