Basically, what you describe is called a 'BDA', or Bi-Directional
Amplifier, used a lot for hole fills. TX-RX and EMR are main sources of
good units. Wilson is a source of not-so-good ones.

There was a real simplex repeater in CA for a while. rom what I
understand, it was more or less 2 transceivers on 146.82 simplex on
opposite sides of a BIIIIIG mountain. There was enough isolation between
the two sites that it was impossible to talk simplex from one to the
other. The radios were cross-connected, wire-line I presume, so that
someone on one side transmitting would be retransmitted on the other
side on the same freq.