Thanks to all who replied!

Short summary then:
 - Stations operating under 6.1m rules are designated as FX1 on the license.
 - If it isn't listed on the license, it doesn't and, more importantly, must
not exist.
 - If it is an intentional emitter, it must be licensed unless operating under
license-free rules; there is no such thing as "license-free" or "doesn't need a
license" on part 90 (Public Safety) freqs.

Now - - to convince the fire whackers with their eBay radios...
Bill - WB1GOT