Jim,

The project, for those who have not caught the beginning of this thread,
is a remote VHF receiver with a UHF link back to a main repeater.

Jim, I like the idea of using the Icom ICF121S (VHF) and ICF221S (UHF)
as you have done. However, I bought the service manual for the VHF
version, and tried to find where I could get non-de-emphasized audio out
of the receiver and where I could insert audio for flat transmission by
the transmitter. (I would be using the UHF transmitter, of course, but I
didn't buy the UHF service manual.) The radio doesn't seem to have any
provision for this, so there would have to be connections made to the PC
board where everything is really, really small. I'm not sure I want to
venture this.

The alternative is to go with de-emphasized audio from the receiver, let
the UHF transmitter apply emphasis, let the UHF receiver do de-emphasis
and feed this to the repeater controller. Is this what you are doing? If
so, you seem to indicate this gives a good result in your case. On the
other hand, if you have found a way to get the flat audio from the
receiver and feed it to the transmitter, can you tell me how you did
this?

I need the benefit of your experience, and I appreciate your advice.
Thanks.

John