Does this repeater have a digital audio delay in it?  It could be
getting into ITSELF...

Output to input PIM or other sources like that with a digital audio
delay, will sound like that... a hollow "echo" chamber, often with any
tones or low level noises really amplified... like stage PA system to
mic "feedback" loops.

Nate WY0X