go with Lo band,  way good coverage, lo band maratracs are in abundant supply,
50.00 or less, no repeater to mess with ..  lo band would work well.  ymmv
mac/mc  w5mc
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: tahrens301
  To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, August 26, 2009 9:42 AM
  Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Low Power VHF Repeater - Solar

    A friend of mine who is the foreman for a large
  ranch asked me about providing radio coverage.

  As there are a couple of hills (2000' AGL) around the
  ranch, coverage in some places would be spotty, so a
  repeater on one of the hills would be the best solution.

  However, there is no power available, so a solar/wind
  power solution would be necessary. (we get a lot of sun
  here!)

  I've done a couple of solar projects, but this needs to
  be pretty much commercial quality, so I was wondering
  if there is a commercial repeater available that would
  be a good candidate for solar power.

  I figure the RF power out could be 5 watts or less and
  still give good coverage throughout the ranch.

  Thanks,

  Tim