From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:repeater-buil...@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of ve1ii
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2009 2:30 PM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Re: information requested re broadband
internet canopy equipment interference

Hi Rodney and others.
The CAT5 cables are definitely shielded and I suspect that they are
properly terminated.
There are 10 CAT5 cables in total and an LMR200 cable. I suspect the
LMR200 goes to a GPS unit which is on the tower. Six of the CAT5's go to
the six panels and likely the other four are used on dishes on the tower
that pick up and relay the signals coming to the tower.

The VHF repeater is using a Sinclair 210-C4 on the top of the tower with
the panels mounted just below that (approx. 10 feet down)
The repeater is multicoupled to the 210-C4. All feedlines for VHF and
UHF antennas is hardline.
The power supplies for the panels are switching type. The noise is
across the VHF band.

Thanks for the comments so far.

> Has the Canopy system been installed using shielded cat5/cat6 cable?
The EMI certification is only applicable if shielded cables are used
(and properly terminated).

> What sort of antenna is your system using? How much
vertical/horizontal separation from the Canopy system? Above or below?

> Does the Canopy have one or two cables running to each panel? If one,
the power, sync and data is carried on the same cable. If shielded cable
has been correctly used, the cable radiation should be minimal (provided
good quality cable with 100% shield coverage is used).

> If there are 2 cables, the sync signal crom the Cluster Management
Module (CMM) is on a separate cable. If that cable is not shielded, it
could be radiating.