From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:repeater-buil...@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Eric Lemmon
Sent: Thursday, September 03, 2009 8:01 PM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Repeater-Builder] Re: Antenna SWR = Desense?

Tim,

A high-gain antenna that is only 100 feet away horizontally is far too
close.  It is "bathing" your repeater equipment with RF, and very few
machines can tolerate being in such a high RF field.

Vertical versus horizontal separation is very roughly in a 1:45 ratio, that
is, the isolation of 100 feet of vertical separation is roughly equivalent
to about 4,500 feet of horizontal separation.  In other words, your 100 feet
of horizontal separation is no better than if you put a mag-mount whip right
on the top of the repeater cabinet.

You would likely have less desense if you mounted your DB224 antenna on the
roof of your equipment shed, directly above the repeater, so that the
repeater cabinet was in the "shadow" beneath the antenna.  You might also
consider filtering the DC power leads to prevent RF ingress through that
path.

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY