Here in Arlington County, VA OEM/RACES we have two Internet Remote Amateur
Radio (IRAR) Stations build around the Kenwood TS2K w/ 80-6M and 2m-70cm
antennas.

Our RACES volunteers check-in to the weekly exercise nets using the IRAR
stations when they are traveling for business or just for fun. One of the
stations has antennas mounted on the roof of the court house about 425ft
above sea level. That station on VHF-UHF can hit most repeaters 50-60 miles
away; lots of fun.

Riley Hollingsworth has toured the stations as have other FCC officials and
there is no regulation issue involved with operations of this type. It is
not a problem!

Where there is a problem is when folks attempt to use Echo Link for HF.  The
end user has no control over the freq. and the minute the Echo Link
connection is made it announces itself over the HF station. Our HF net on
40m had a problem with a ham up in Erie, PA who thought it was cool to have
Echo Link on his HF radio but the damn announcements would come in over top
on-going conversations creating a lot of confusion. That was not a good use
the Internet and it created some ill will. I think the folks at Echo Link
have since create an application that offers better controls that eliminate
unwanted interference. Not sure about that part of it.

73,

Dave

Wa3gin

  _____