Motorola's 900 MHz Hear-Clear product is different from other manufacturers'
audio improvement technologies because it combines companding with a patented
second feature known as "Flutter-Fighter" which rapidly varies IF gain in
response to flutter induced by Rayleigh fading.

For VHF and UHF NBFM radios, although each manufacturer may have different
companding parameters, radios of various brands may be more closely compatible
than they are at 900.

Audio companding is certainly a subject that should be researched in a study of
the migration of amateur VHF/UHF operations to NBFM.