Cort Buffington wrote:
> Doesn't seem un-doable. That chip is almost 40 years old, during the
> time it was developed, there just cannot have been some magic you can
> put on a silicon die that we can't replicate with a few more discrete
> components or Op-Amps today.

It is actually pretty easy to replicate the behavior with digital signal
processing. In fact, you can trivially make it have more "levels" than
the 2 the original chip had.

I'd have more details for you, but most of my repeater DSP work is on my
voted system and on a voted system a multi-level squelch is exactly what
you DON'T want. (Because with enough receivers, there's always one that
is getting a weak version of the signal, and so when the user unkeys the
voter sees all the strong receivers drop COS and the weak receiver(s)
doing their long squelch tail.)

Matthew Kaufman

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional