> "Nate Duehr" <n...@...> wrote:
> How did the units know when the officers left the scene?
> By them putting the HT back in the charger I assume?
>
> Pretty smart plan, actually.  Neat.
>
> I take it if they forgot or tossed it on the seat when taking
> off, they could be cut off from comm until they stuffed it back
> in the charger, or was there a really looooong failsafe timer
> that would turn the micro-repeater back on?  I guess there
> probably couldn't be... or some day long event with multiple
> units, would certainly have the repeater's re-enabling
> themselves...?

Each vehicle repeater has a (random) internal counter, which
generates and increases an internal queue number when it hears
any arrival lock tone. Each units queue number is different
than any other on scene co-channel operation (extender).

All extender units listen to the same radio traffic... when the
priority (highest queue number) unit travels out of range the
other on scene units start their queue timer counting down
when their receivers compare active versus missing radio traffic.
The first extender "counting down" to reach the number one spot starts
transmitting while the other higher number queue remain in
standby/idle mode.

Probably took some strong coffee and a pop-tart to figure that
concept out... but it does work very well.

s.