I just looked at the TX/RX catalog - looks like you're referring to their CC
Series antennas; the description indicate that the "lightning spike" (their
term) is connected to a solid brass support pipe. They're not made for 900
MHz though, only UHF/700/800. Looks like the price for the 6dB gain version
is around $2K.

Their collinear description does not mention anything about a lightning
spike, just "internal DC grounding for lightning protection and reduction of
precipitation noise."

It also occurs to me that the lightning spikes I've seen on 900 MHz DB
Products antennas are not in the center of the cap, but offset to one side.
They appear to be molded into the cap, not just part of the antenna passing
thru it.

Well I guess worst case, the Maxrad 900 antennas can be had fairly cheaply
on eBay. I picked up 3 of the 6dB models for around $80 shipped. Much
cheaper to replace than the Comet GP-15's! (Plus I've got a three year
supply at my current lightning strike rate.)

Doug

K4AC