At 11/26/2009 08:30, you wrote:
>Ralph you bring up a good point of thought.
>
>The ham that built our repeater placed the Decibel Products 4002 Bandpass
>behind the Wacom 6 can duplexer and then followed by the ARR Gasfed
>P144VDG to the radio.
>
>Now where he built it was his tower site (an old AT&T brick building) full
>of transmitters.
>
>Now that we have it, it is located here at my house in my ham shack. So,
>the only transmitters are my 2 meter and HF when I am on HF. The HF
>doesn't bother it at all and I run low power on 2 meter when I am on that.
>
>So, with your thought, I could probably do away with the bandpass all
>together run the preamp right out of the cans to the radio (which is a GE
>Mastr II mobile).

Yes, but it will offer some protection from your 2 meter radio so you'll
desense your repeater a bit less.  It also offers some protection from the
EMP of nearby lightning strikes: less bandwidth between the strike & preamp
means less EMP energy reaching the preamp's input.

The DB4002 came with either 0.5, 1 or 3 dB loops.  If yours has 3 dB loops,
then you'll probably see some improvement in sensitivity by removing the
can.  If it has 0.5 dB loops, you won't notice a difference.  1 dB is
somewhere in between, but if you have any amount of site noise you probably
won't notice a difference as well.

Here in SoCal you can put a 6 dB pad in front of a preamp & not notice a
difference in effective sensitivity.  Needless to say, I don't use them on
2 meters here - the stock sensitivity of an MVP or Mastr II is perfectly
matched to our environment.  I have noticed that away from this area, the
noise floor on 2 meters can be much lower.

Bob NO6B