Okay, so you have a 5 MHz split instead of a 600 kHz split- that makes it
much easier.  I like to use two 8" bandpass cavities, simply because they
will fit in a 19" rack and provide maximum performance.  I have three
commercial UHF MTR2000 repeaters on the air now, each with two Telewave 8"
bandpass cavities mounted on a panel (TWPC-4508-2) and an Angle Linear
preamp upstream of them.  One of the repeaters is less than 100 feet away
from a 5 MW Air Route Surveillance Radar, and there is absolutely no
interference from it.  The other two repeaters have nearby in-band stations
belonging to others.

Two 8" bandpass cavities each set to 0.5 dB insertion loss are significantly
more effective than one 8" bandpass cavity set to 1.0 dB insertion loss.
Likewise, two 8" bandpass cavities have steeper cutoff responses than two 5"
cavities.  As in many things in life, you get what you pay for.

I also have an Amateur 2m repeater that is co-located with a 10 kW broadcast
FM station, and I found that one Sinclair 7" bandpass cavity filter was
sufficient to eliminate any desense.  When properly applied, a bandpass
cavity can perform miracles.  Although the relatively inexpensive DCI
helical filters are somewhat effective in reducing desense, they cannot
perform as well as a bandpass cavity filter- especially when a preamp is in
the receive chain.  As others have pointed out, a preamp is seldom a
cure-all, and may cause more problems to occur than fewer.

To answer your question, I do not suggest that you get a bandpass/reject
cavity.  I suggest that you get a "pure" bandpass cavity.  Its pass response
is very narrow when compared to a pass/reject cavity.

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY