Scott,
I also would second the "reverse repeater" theory. Years ago (many) we
had a repeater in Western PA on 147.165 that would lock up with a
Michigan repeater on 147.765 (both rightfully coordinated) and produce
the "pipe" sound. In those days (1980s) everyone ran carrier squelch and
we had some Lake Erie ducting once in a while.

Its up to you, but was just a quick workaround that I started doing.
Funny thing is I can get the "growl" when the system ran DPL and
conditions are right...but its not the repeater since another temporary
system I put in did the same thing.

Sorry to hijack your note with my issue, but was hoping that there would
be some commonality and we would both benefit. Thanks for the
information on echoproducer, I might look into that.

Tony

offtracks1 wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply
>
> The revers pair is a good point.
>
> I am in a remote area and did the full coordination but still we have
> had some odd ducting here as I am close to 9K mountains and I am at
> around 4K feet to start with.
>
> Tony I have not ran it without the tx pl. I have a few folks that like
> that including myself as I drop the tone before the TX, the controller
> is a ICS. But still for testing I may do that. I have echolink so I
> hook it up at night to the Ireland conference and set the system to
> listen only so I do not interfere with folks. Then with a program
> called echoproducer I can log each time the system gets kerchunched.
> sometimes its fine other times the log is big.
>
> Sorry I failed to put down its on 147.000 TX 147.600 RX.
>
> I have a repeater info page off of my weather station site.
>
> http://www.josephoregonweather.com/repeater.html
> <http://www.josephoregonweather.com/repeater.html>
>
> --- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
> <mailto:Repeater-Builder%40yahoogroups.com>, Tony KT9AC <kt...@...> wrote:
> >
> > Scott,
> > You are not alone in this!! I too have been fighting a problem almost
> > exactly like this - I've tried different PL tones on RX and TX and that
> > seemed to keep it from "self-oscillating". Seems to happen more when
> the
> > weather is dry and I describe it as a "growl" sound. Happening on a
> > MSF5000 at a commercial site. We too have numerous broadcast towers
> > within 2 miles, and lots of Cellular/PCS antennas around. Mine is on
> > UHF, yours appears to be high-band VHF (from the TKR-750 K2 note).
> >
> > I'm still working on a resolution, but again for now try either split
> > tone or remove PL from the transmitter (CSQ). It would keep the
> repeater
> > keyed up for several seconds, then drop signal and come back again (as
> > long as the tail remained with PL output). I've also shortened the hang
> > timer to 3 seconds to help. It wouldn't bring up the system unless
> > someone kerchunked it, then it started.
> >
> > Tony, KT9AC

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional