This is a resend of my email to Nate last night. It looks like good old
yahoo stripped my reply.

Hi Nate,

A UHF pass band cavity for example will pass only a UHF frequency that it is
tuned for. On frequency signals coming into it will see 50 ohms. Off
frequency signals will see a short circuit and will be greatly attenuated.
The input loop of the cavity (as well as the output loop) looks like a short
circuit at all but the tuned frequency. So anything that happens to be in
parallel with the loop will also see the short circuit if the frequency is
not that to which the cavity is tuned to.

 So if you had a half wave length cable between the cavity and your T
connector, then the short circuit at the cavity (off frequency short) would
also look like a short circuit at the T connector. No problem for the UHF
signal as that frequency sees 50 ohms at the T. but any other frequency sees
a short circuit at the T and would be attenuated there.

Now if that cable was a quarter wave length instead of a half wave length,
the short circuit (off frequency short) would be transformed to an open
circuit at the T connector. That would allow all other frequencies to be
present with no attenuation at the T.

If you used a random length of cable here, you may be ok and you may not be
depending on how far away from a quarter wave length the cable happened to
be.

This is exactly how a duplexer works. The cables between the T and each
cavity set is a quarter wave length at the opposite frequency for which the
cavity is tuned to. The quarter wave length cable connected to the T always
wants to see a short at the other end at the frequency that it does not want
to pass, as the quarter wave length transforms the short to a open which
does not load down the other side of the circuit..

With close spaced duplexers sometimes the two cables may be very close in
length or the same, as the cable is not near as high a Q as the cavity is.

 Further to your current post, there is more of a chance of hitting a bad
cable length than there is of not. Only a quarter wave length will transform
short (low impedance) to a high impedance to the T. All other lengths will
be something with lower impedance at the T, which you don't want.

If everything is set up right you should be able to remove the "other" cable
from the T and notice no difference on the remaining receiver.

As far as passive splitters go rather than using the above cavity setup, it
is always a good idea to use a splitter for isolation between receivers. The
same thing can happen as described above (with no cavities) as the tuned
input stage on the receiver will do the same thing to rob power from the
other receiver depending on cable length between a T and the receivers.

A splitter really does not rob any power from the system. If you think about
it, each receiver is going to "pull" half of the power from the antenna line
anyway. So just the fact that you connected the two together, the total
antenna power is going to be shared between the two receivers if you are
lucky enough to not have other losses due to impedance match problems
sucking more than that out.
So the 3 db loss that a splitter gives you is there anyway. But with the
splitter everything sees the proper impedance and maximum power is
transferred to each.

UNUSED PORTS ON A RECEIVER MULTICOUPLER
A receiver multicoupler by the way is basically just a multi way splitter. A
TV splitter is built exactly the same.
There are two different type of couplers used. One type the unused ports
must be terminated in order to maintain 50 ohms at all other ports. The
other type it doesn't matter if they are terminated or not as the port on
this type is isolated by the amount of port to port isolation. Depends on
the manufacturer.

VSWR LOSSES ON RECEIVER ANTENNA LINE
Yes you can have vswr losses on your receiver line going up the tower
depending on the match that the line sees down at the BOTTOM of the tower.
It works just the opposite of a transmitter line. The transmitter line
requires a good match at the antenna end of the line in order to keep the
vswr low on the line. This will keep lose to a minimum.

But when the energy is originating at the antenna end of the line, then the
match at the bottom of the line becomes important to minimize vswr loss on
the line. A mismatch at the bottom of the line causes reflections (with part
of the received power) to go back up the line and become attenuated by the
regular line loss. At the top of the line that energy is re-reflected back
down the line again and is further attenuated by the regular line loss. This
re-reflected energy eventually adds to the signal (minus the amount lost).
So the worse the match the more reflected energy there is going back and
forth on the line and less ultimately reaches the receiver.
The more original line loss there is the worse the problem becomes.

This is another reason for paying attention to proper matching at the
receive end.
You end up with the same kind of loss that you get on a transmitter due to
high vswr.

73

Gary  K4FMX