On 4/2/2010 2:17 AM, Nate Duehr wrote:

> But anyway... good luck finding a commercial product that doesn't use
> their chipset anytime soon.  The next CODEC chipset maker is going to be
> an "also-ran" forever, unless their mathematicians and algorithms are
> uber-brilliant.
>
> Nate WY0X

One good thing, in my book anyway, at least that's all DVSI does is
vocoders. They don't make radios. They don't make telephones. They don't
make channel banks or muxes. They just make the chips and some software
to use them.
Now, if Icom (or any other radio mfg) came up with their own vocoder,
and IT had become the standard, such that all other mfg had to pay
royalties to them, I would have a BIIIG problem with that, because it
gives that mfg a decidedly unfair advantage.

Jim WD8CHL