At 10:46 AM 04/09/10, you wrote:

>Sorry, bursting your bubble was truly not my intent. I suffer from
>occasional CRS :-)
>
>Seriously though lookin for a handheld with 4 channels to do 2
>meters for a friend in a home. If you come across somethin(cheap,
>cheap, real cheap) let me know. The state is paying for his care. He
>got hit by a driver w/ no insurance and no assets to attach. He gets
>around pretty well though, no bedpans or cute nurses have to hold
>his antenna for him. :-)

In my experience, anything cheap, cheap, real
cheap ends up being fragile or of limited usability
or both.

If you can afford $70 then look at ebay item 160385922879

Yes, a 16-channel VHF MT1000 in your hands for $50
plus a battery (or you can re-cell the battery yourself).

Or 300415916872 puts one in your hands for $70 including
a battery.

The MT is much more durable than most of the HTs out
there, and no more hassle to program than any other
Moto radio.
You program the transmit frequency, transmit
PL tone/DPL code, receive frequency, receive PL
tone/DPL code all as separate fields on each of
16 channels.  Maximum versatility.

See <http://www.repeater-builder.com/motorola/genesis/genesis-index.html>

The only mod I do is that I add an AC power on/off
switch to the chargers.  The stock configuration has
no AC power switch and the internal 24v DC supply
runs 24/7.

Disclaimer: I have no relation to the sellers, or to the
particular radios.

Mike WA6ILQ