Because of the internal desense issue, I'd build them the same, but operate
the two radios separately.  That is, use one as a transmitter and the other
as the receiver by default.  No duplex mods required.  If the Tx dies on
one, swap the system cables around to make the formerly-transmitter radio
the receiver, and vice-versa.  You could even automate the changeover via a
couple of coaxial relays and some simple homebrew transistor and/or relay
logic tied into your controller.

                                        --- Jeff WN3A