Although the 60 foot building is certainly tempting to use as the repeater
location, you should first ensure that there isn't a bunch of HVAC equipment
on the roof.  The sheet-metal ducting and enclosures of rooftop HVAC
installations are often prolific sources of passive intermodulation
interference.  Since radio equipment cannot be installed in an elevator
machine/control room, you should plan on putting the repeater in an area
where you have a cable pathway to the antenna that does not use the elevator
hoistway.

You should be able to purchase a used GR1225 or similar UHF and narrow-band
capable repeater for less than $1,000.  A new basic UHF antenna, mount, and
feedline might run around $600 or so.  Simple four-channel UHF portable
radios, such as the Motorola CP200, will run you around $300 each, and the
programming software and cable will run another $500 or so.

If I were to buy this system new, I would look at a Motorola CDR700 desktop
repeater, with two CDM750 radios inside, for about $2,800.  The HVN9025
programming software and RIBless cable will run another $400 or so.  Simple,
four-channel radios in the Professional line, such as the HT750 with a NiMH
battery, will run around $400 each, and the RIBless programming cable costs
about $200.  The advantage of using these Motorola radios is that the
repeater and the portables use exactly the same programming software.

I urge you to NOT "mix and match" a bunch of used radios of various brands,
since they may not have compatible reverse-burst squelch-tail elimination
formats.  If you buy your portables new, you have all fresh batteries of the
same part number, the same chargers, and a warranty.  Once you start mixing
brands and models, the issue of programming software and cables becomes a
headache.

Finally, once you have put together a list of materials for your entire
system, send that same list to every local radio shop and to big discount
suppliers such as Houston Communications and Ameradio.  In your cover letter
to each potential vendor, ask each one to submit a single dollar figure to
deliver all items on the list to your door, with all taxes and shipping
charges included.  No doubt, you will be astounded at the spread of the
quotes!  Make it clear that the vendor is not to make any changes,
additions, or deletions.  When I did this exercise several years ago for the
purchase of an MTR2000 repeater, the spread of quotes was nearly $2,000-
with the highest quote coming from one of the local shops.  Caveat Emptor!

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY