Sounds as if you are missing a duplexer.  A duplexer is a passive device
that allows your repeater to transmit and receive on one antenna
simultaneously without degrading your receive performance while you
strong transmitter is on the air (aka - desense).  Most Quantar
repeaters ship with a duplexer from Motorola that fits within the
cabinet (of course I am speaking for the commercial world, not
government).  Also, if your stations have antenna relays on them (sounds
like one does), they need to be removed and deprogrammed from the
station (either in the hardware configuration screen or in the RF
configuration screen).  Also, separated antennas on the VHF band would
need typically several hundred feet VERTICAL isolation or probably more
than a mile of horizontal isolation to work properly if your transmit
and receive frequencies are wide spaced.  Lastly, for best field
performance of repeaters with duplexers under your conditions, it would
likely be best to pick frequencies about 3-5 MHz apart for transmit and
receive pairs and make all of your receive frequencies near each other
and all of your transmit frequencies near each other (example - Receive
1 136.025 MHz, Transmit 1 141.025 MHz, Receive 2 135.975 MHz, Transmit 2
140.975 MHz).

Hope this helps somewhat!

Messed with all kinds of RF

James WJ1D