From: Eric Lemmon <wb6...@verizon.net>
Subject: RE: [Repeater-Builder] Astron RS50 Power Supply
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, June 20, 2010, 8:07 PM

Leroy,

The problem is that the jumper wire or PCB trace- if it exists- will create
a common and low-impedance connection between the AC and the DC sources in a
station. This may not cause a problem for some systems, but is certainly
not a recommended practice where DC power returns and signal common
conductors are at similar potentials. It is a long-established practice in
the power, broadcast, and communications industries that there should be
only one connection where all signal and power grounds are brought together.
For residential and commercial wiring, the National Electrical Code (NFPA
70) calls this point "the service." The Code is very explicit that the
service is where CATV coaxial shields, telephone line protectors, and the
power neutral are joined. Likewise, most cellular and LMR stations follow
such guidelines as the Motorola R56 Manual, which specifies a "ground
window" where station grounds, power grounds, and feedline grounds are made
common.

To establish additional grounds at DC power supply returns is almost certain
to create "ground loops" that will interfere with sensitive equipment and
circuits. A case in point: My 6m repeater controller would lock up
periodically, requiring a 60-mile round trip to the mountaintop site to
reset the system. When these lockups occurred, both the primary receiver
and the link receiver were deaf, and I lost control of the repeater. The
cause was not apparent, since the lockups occurred in clear, mild weather
with no obvious causes. On a hunch, I tested the Astron RS-35M power supply
and discovered that the negative output terminal was jumpered to the
chassis. I removed that jumper, and the problem went away-forever. My
guess is that a surge from a nearby air-conditioning system was coupled into
the grounding system, and the resulting spike on the DC return for the
controller caused it to be corrupted.

Another repeater that used an Astron power supply had a low-level 60 Hz hum
on the audio that was audible only at base stations, which used larger
speakers than portables or mobiles. After I did some head-scratching, I
surmised that the hum was not a ripple from the power supply, since that
would be 120 Hz in a power supply with a full-wave rectifier. This repeater
had a gel-cell battery floating on the power supply output (with a Schottky
blocking diode, of course), and I noticed that the hum stayed when I turned
off the power supply. However, the hum went away when I unplugged the power
supply. Aha! Once I removed the internal jumper connecting the negative
terminal lug to the chassis, all was well.

Astron is not consistent with these jumpers; some models of power supplies-
both linear and switching- have them, but not all. IMHO, the station
designer should decide where and how the system grounds should be connected,
and not the manufacturer of a power supply.

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY