From: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:repeater-buil...@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of n2...@hvc.rr.com
Sent: Tuesday, June 29, 2010 8:05 AM
To: Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Repeater-Builder] Re: Converting the Kenwood TKR-820 to use with
D-STAR

I would think making it a "Dual Mode" rptr. relatively simple..
You would need to built a A/B switch to switch from the D-Star
controller to a Normal rptr. controller.. I simple 4PDT relay would
would work..

Since the D-Star controller doesn't use COR and I doubt it uses and
any kind if CTCSS, you could add a CTCSS decoder w/ a little hang time to
drive the A/B switch.. Or you could use the COR line from
the rprt. to drive the switch, using the CTCSS decode line to only
allow the COR to activate the switch if the CTCSS is not present.

The latter solution is more logic driven and does not have to worry
about making the Hang time of the switch match up Hang time of the
rptr.. Either way, it should be fairly straight forward..

As Mike has already pointed out, you do have the problem with 2
different groups trying to use the rptr..

-Pete N2MCI

--- In Repeater-Builder@yahoogroups.com
<mailto:Repeater-Builder%40yahoogroups.com> , "Mark" <n9...@...> wrote:

> John,
>
> I currently am Trustee for a TKR-820 operating on 444.5500. I wonder - is
> this conversion "dual-mode" capable, meaning, can it be accessed BOTH via
> D-STAR and analog radios, or does it render analog access unusable? I do
> not want to do this if it eliminates analog access, since this is an
> Emergency Management-affiliated repeater and many users in my area are not
> D-STAR capable. As such, I'd have to maintain a dual-mode system, similar
> to those using Motorola QUANTAR repeaters for digital (APCO 25) as well as
> analog access.
>
> Next questions is, my machine is a multi-receive site (read: SpectraTAC)
> system - is the D-STAR processing done on the FINAL received signal before
> being passed to the transmitter, or would I need to convert all the
> receivers in the system to be compatible? In my system, I do not use the
> internal receiver in the TKR-820 - I feed a voted signal in from the
> comparator for repeat.
>
> Photos of my system (with one receiver configured) can be seen at the
> Repeater-Builder Yahoo group:

> st
> Look at those associated with WW9AE
>
> If it can be configured for a dual-mode/multi-RX site configuration, I
might
> seriously consider adapting our machine.
>
> Thanks!
> Mark - N9WYS

<mailto:Repeater-Builder%40yahoogroups.com>  On Behalf Of John

http://k7ve.org/blog/2010/06/converting-the-kenwood-tkr-820-to-use-with-d-st