At 06:51 AM 07/28/10, you wrote:
>You guys will have to find a picture of that. It sounds hysterical!

It was.   It looked like a stock mobile microphone off a Motrac.

He had a belt clip that normally held a HT, but the hangup button
from the mic fit into it just fine.  He'd have the end of mic cord stuck
in his pocket.  Some one would call him on the HT radio, and he'd
answer on the mobile mic, and people thought he had a transmitter
in his pocket.  But if he pulled on the mic just right the cord would
pop out of his pocket - and it still worked!

>I assume Mr. McKay built the transmitter right into the mic, no?

Yes.
Dick McKay K6VGP is an old-time 2m pioneer in the Los Angeles
area - and despite being a career pilot with United (now retired)
he's an exceptionally good engineer (a future project of his is a
complete rebuild of a Beech Staggerwing).

In the late 1960s when I first met Dick he had a 2m repeater
that grew to six receive sites and two transmit sites, and a 440
repeater that functioned as a control channel and as an
intercom among the dozen or so control operators.   The two channels
could be tied together or run separately.  The system also had a HF remote
base that could be accessed from either side, and normally lived on 20
meters.  He can tell you stories about the Old Farts on 20 meters trying to
describe the "problem" his SSB radio had with the "strange sounding audio"
and the "funny sound" at the end of his transmissions...  (the squelch tail)
"You've got a funny oscillation in your microphone" was one such
comment...
At one point you could move around the band with the DC motor
worm drive on the VFO knob.  A quick tap on star or pound would
bump you around 200hz.  For may LA area hams that started out
on 2m that system was their first exposure to DXing - occasionally
you'd hear DIck working DX (like Pitcarin Island) while he sitting in a
restaurant and talking on a handheld.

The mobile mic transmitter was basically a modulated
oscillator / quintupler that used a 29.38 MHz rock, and was