On Aug 12, 2010, at 9:09 PM, Zephyr wrote:

> Thanks for having me in your group. I am a long-time military veteran and a
> paramedic. I hope to learn a lot from the group. One of the reasons I joined
> the group is to find out what kind of EMP hardening is considered when
> designing and building repeaters?

Very little, typically.  Almost all have solid-state components that would be
utterly dead after an EMP.  Tube gear that survives EMP better is virtually all
gone.  And user radios are required for any repeater to be useful, and they'd
all be totally dead too.

So... the rest of your posting sure sounds like an advertisement for another
list, which is generally bad Netiquette, unless the lists had something a
little bit more in common.  But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt since
you used a real callsign and name on your signature line, even though your
"From" is a pseudonym.

Personally, I find pseudonym-bearers on the Internet usually need this advice:
"If you want to be somebody else, change you mind."  Seriously.  Or at least
have the pseudonym match something you are, or something you do.

Anyway, to finish answering the question:

About the closest repeaters get to EMP Hardening outside of the military world
(if even then...), is that a lot of repeaters in the West are in old AT&T
microwave facilities that were built as blast-hardened for specific distances
and levels of nuclear bombs.  The gear that used to live in them was hardened
for various levels of EMP, but that gear is long-gone, removed from the
buildings when AT&T scrapped them and the military stopped paying.  They have
other communications systems and links today.

The buildings will probably be standing for another 100 years.  The towers are
built hellaciously strong, too... but are showing signs of age.  Even the
outhouses were over-engineered, and I have an engineering drawing of an
official AT&T outhouse around here somewhere.  Those were not blast-hardened
nor EMP hardened, so apparently if you were unlucky enough to be caught at the
site during a nuclear exchange, you might not have modern toilet facilities
afterward.  A small price to pay, I suppose.

;-)

--
Nate Duehr
n...@natetech.com