On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 20:32, Nate Duehr <n...@natetech.com> wrote:

> Very little, typically. Almost all have solid-state components that would
> be utterly dead after an EMP. Tube gear that survives EMP better is
> virtually all gone. And user radios are required for any repeater to be
> useful, and they'd all be totally dead too.

Nate, your assessment then is that all repeaters within range of an EMP
would be wiped out?

 <snip>

"So... the rest of your posting sure sounds like an advertisement for
another list, which is generally bad Netiquette, unless the lists had
something a little bit more in common."

If an EMP can wipe out all repeaters, I would say that EMP has everything to
do with repeaters.

<snip>

  even though your "From" is a pseudonym.

>> Personally, I find pseudonym-bearers on the Internet usually need this
>> advice: "If you want to be somebody else, change you mind." Seriously. Or at
>> least have the pseudonym match something you are, or something you do.

My email address is ZephyrNYC.  "Zephyr" is the West Wind, and was my first
DJ name.  NYC is for the city of my birth.  I would say that matches who I
am and something that I do.

If all repeaters can be wiped out by an EMP, the only way I can think of to
prepare for one then is to store spare repeater components inside a Faraday
cage or similar container and hope that there isn't a successive EMP after
the first one.