Hi Group,

Before I retired, the two-way shop I worked for
would get Stabilant 22 from our local NAPA
store. It came in a kit (cardboard tube) with
a bottle of Stabilant 22 and swabs. I'm not
sure if it was diluted or not. The price 10 years
ago was about $38. We used it on full duplex
800 MHz Johnson radios on the synthesizer
shield cover to stop the desense.
Worth every penny, and it cure an ongoing
problem with the Johnsons before we read
an article in MRT magazine.

Cheers, Ed

Re: Micor Pin "Gunk"
Posted by: "Eric Lemmon" wb6...@verizon.net   wb6fly
Sat Sep 4, 2010 11:13 am (PDT)

Tom,

Motorola does not now, and never has, recommended DeOxit or any other
contact enhancer "gunk" besides Stabilant 22. Up until just a few years
ago, Motorola specified Stabilant 22A, under part number 1180369E78, which
is a mixture of pure Stabilant 22 and isopropyl alcohol. Today, Motorola
sells a kit under part number 1180384V93 which comprises a 5 ml bottle of
pure Stabilant 22, an empty 15 ml bottle, and some tiny swabs. The user
then puts 2.5 ml of the Stabilant 22 into the 15 ml bottle and adds 10 ml of
99% isopropanol to make a working solution of Stabilant 22A, or adds 10 ml
of pure ethanol to make a working solution of Stabilant 22E. Either
solution is extremely effective if applied wet to clean connectors
immediately before mating. It is also effective in curing intermittent
contacts in card-edge connectors in PCs and electronic instruments. The
alcohol solvent is essential for the product to work; undiluted Stabilant 22
is ineffective. Drug-store isopropyl alcohol, aka rubbing alcohol, should
not be used since it is diluted with water and will interfere with
Stabilant's action.

The 1180384V93 kit is sold by Motorola Parts for about $47, but is
sufficient to last for years.

73, Eric Lemmon WB6FLY