On Sat, Apr 15, 2017 at 08:36:59PM +0200, Tomas Nordin wrote:
> This I have tried over and over again. Don't know exactly what a full
> reboot is but I have tried both rebooting by the menu-item for it and to
> turn off and on the phone.

Bummer. Sounds like you've got a worse problem then I was envisioning.

And yeah both of those are 'full reboots' there's also a soft reboot,
that leaves the kernel and hardware running, and merely reboots the
android system.

HUPping rild is probably not going to help, it's more of a "I don't want
to restart the phone, maybe I can get it going again by quickly killing
rild"

> > You also probably want to learn how to how to restart rild manually,
> > that often helps if say you've driven out of your service area.
> > You can do it from a command line with something like:
> > $killall rild
>
> Some more details welcome. Do you mean with a command line app on the
> phone or from a host computer.

I meant on the phone, with say connectbot, but of course adb shell from
a computer would get you there too.

> > But I find it's easier to use OSmonitor where you can long press on
> >the
> > process and choose kill from the context menu.
>
> Do you mean
>
> https://f-droid.org/repository/browse/?fdfilter=osmonitor&fdid=com.eolwral.osmonitor

That's the one.

> and then find the process called rild and kill it and then what. Is it
> restarted by itself or should I restart the phone?

More or less. Mostly on my i9300 I've used this when it got sluggish,
and I'd have OSmonitor set to order the processes by Memory usage, the
process that shows up as "Phone"  would pretty much always be the one at
the top. So I've not spent much time ensuring that "Phone" is exactly
the rild, but killing it results in the gsm icon going all empty for a
while, just like killing rild from connectbot.
And yeah it restarts itself, though a few times it did not, and I wound
up restarting the phone.

--
sam