Just to clarify and avoid future problems. The user's document folder is /Users/jamescoy/Documents. The Mac file system can either ignore case or be case senstive. This is a setting when the file system is created. NORMALLY, it is case insensitive and either path will work. BUT making sure that you have the setting correct in case you migrate to a new system or new file system that is case sensitive like normal unix systems. So what you had will work with the initial / but I highly recommend including the capitalization.

/Users is at the root of the file system.