I envisaged:
. formal builds to be reproducible builds, such as those
  built against a label. E.g:
  "1.0"
  "0.9-rc1"
  "release/1.2"
  "release/1.0beta2"

. interim builds to be any build against the codebase
  at a particular time. E.g:
  "snapshot/1.0/20031213"
  "nightly/1.0-beta2.3/20031210"

However, there is some overlap - an interim build could be labelled,
but not represent a formal build. For that reason, the timestamp
is optional:
  interim-build = interim-build-designation "/" version
                  [ "/" interim-version ]
  interim-build-designation = "interim" | "nightly" | "snapshot" | ...
  interim-version = timestamp | latest
  timestamp = YYYYMMDD ["." HHMM [SS]]
  latest = "latest"

If milestone builds are formal builds, then the repository for "commons-foo"
might look like:
  http://repo.apache.org/apache/commons-foo/
    1.0-milestone1/
      binaries/
      source/
      jars/
    1.0-milestone2/
    1.0-rc1/
    1.0-rc2/
    1.0/
    1.1-milestone1/
    1.1-milestone2/
    nightly/
      1.0/
        20031112/
          binaries/
          source/
          jars/
        20031113/
        20031114/

If they are interim builds, built off a label:
  http://repo.apache.org/apache/commons-foo/
    1.0/
      binaries/
      source/
      jars/
    1.0-rc1/
    1.0-rc2/
    interim/
      1.0-milestone1/
          binaries/
          source/
          jars/
      1.0-milestone2/
      1.1-milestone1/
      1.1-milestone2/
    nightly/

At this stage, I have no real preference for either
use - a tool can unambiguously locate them either way.

-Tim