ATM AFAIK releases are made by putting the tarballs, zips and jars in the mirrored directory structure.
IMHO this has some drawbacks:

1 - people making releases have to log into the release server
2 - there is no notification of files being put there
3 - we are already experiencing issues with where to put jars

What if we make instead a SVN repository for releases?

In this way it would be quite ease to solve all the above issues, with the added benefit of keeping history automatically.

This could also make it possible to make a simple bot that acts on these commits, like for example publish the jars in a parallel structure that is used for the maven repo.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -