Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 14:08:38 -0400
From: Mark R. Diggory <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Dion Gillard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: Henk P. Penning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED],
    [EMAIL PROTECTED], Maven Developers List <dev@maven.apache.org>
Subject: Re: md5's

Ultimately it would, as well, be of great benefit if the artifact
publishing worked initially in a staging area as not to confuse existing
 cron jobs attempting to validate md5's on the server. This would
probably be best served in the systems default tmp directory.

  That would be great.

  I think, the best way for adding/replace stuff is

  -- write a 'temp'
  -- rename 'temp' to 'file'

  because a rename is truly atomic if 'temp' and 'file' are
  in the same file system.

  If you can implement the 'temp' for 'file' to be,
  for instance, '.tmp.file', I can easily teach the checkers
  to ignore '.tmp.*' files. I think rsync does something
  like that (even better .tmp.$$.file).

  Just a thought.

-Mark

  HPP

Henk P. Penning, Computer Systems Group       R Uithof CGN-A232  _/ \_
Dept of Computer Science, Utrecht University  T +31 30 253 4106 / \_/ \
Padualaan 14, 3584CH Utrecht, the Netherlands F +31 30 251 3791 \_/ \_/
http://www.cs.uu.nl/staff/henkp.html          M [EMAIL PROTECTED]  \_/

-- Mark Diggory Open Source Software Developer Apache Jakarta Project http://jakarta.apache.org