Chris McDonough wrote:
> On 5/9/09 9:12 AM, Martin Aspeli wrote:
>> It'd be nice if there was a way to name the files that meant people
>> won't accidentally commit a bunch of "compiled" .py files that may then
>> end up conflicting later.
>
> Maybe there could be a mode to compile template files directly to .pyc for
> folks
> that wanted it.  But if it complicated Chameleon at all to do so, I'd much
> rather say to those people "don't check in .pt.py files" than have 500 lines
> of
> source to enforce it.

The pyc files are dependent on a number of Python settings, the Python
version being one of them. I'd rather have the py files generated, so I
can also generate those up front on my machine and actually ship all of
them inside a distribution. The specific Python interpreter on the
target machine can handle py to pyc/pyo compilation just fine.

Only having pyc files is also a pain with zope.testing and its eager
cleanup mode, which would constantly delete these files.

Hanno