Steve Schmechel wrote:
> Sorry, if some of these questions are inane, but I am try to
> get proficient at participating in IRC again after many years
> away.  (There is apparently more activity on the Repoze IRC channel
> than on this list, so I guess I better learn if I want to participate.)
> General searches for IRC related info tend to return things from people
> who spend maybe too much of their life "chatting".  So, I thought I
> would ask other developers who use IRC as a communication tool more
> than a social recreation.
> I noticed that the channel archive at
> only provides the last 100 messages.  Since I didn't stay connected
> to the channel yesterday, I missed a possible response to someone else's
> question about the status of Chameleon and Google App Engine.
> By the time I looked at the archive the window had rolled past so I
> don't know if anyone answered.  (I know I could ask again; just trying
> to get things configured so that this doesn't happen often.)

At if you click on
"Browse Archive", then click the forward arrow that shows up, you will see the
entire day's traffic.  Unfortunately the month/day/year dropdowns don't work,
but you can change the URL to see previous days.

> Judging from the channel name list, most people here are connected to
> freenode at all times.
> So, the ChatZilla Firefox plugin I started with is probably is not
> going to serve me well.  I tried toying with Pidgin and now irssi.
> What are most people here using as a client?

I use a Mac, so I use Colloquy myself.  When I used Linux, I used XChat.  But
anything works.

> Is there some other way to use the channel archive or a different
> archive?  Hopefully, there will always be a live (awake) person
> to talk to, but with different timezones and such and network
> connections that might go out, I hate to end up asking "Did someone
> answer my question?".  (Or repost the same question to the mailing
> list because I missed the answer.)

Hopefully the archive trick above helps.