Steve Schmechel wrote:
> Sorry, if some of these questions are inane, but I am try to
> get proficient at participating in IRC again after many years
> away.  (There is apparently more activity on the Repoze IRC channel
> than on this list, so I guess I better learn if I want to participate.)
>
> General searches for IRC related info tend to return things from people
> who spend maybe too much of their life "chatting".  So, I thought I
> would ask other developers who use IRC as a communication tool more
> than a social recreation.
>
> I noticed that the channel archive at
> http://irclog.turbogears.org/archive/freenode/repoze
> only provides the last 100 messages.  Since I didn't stay connected
> to the channel yesterday, I missed a possible response to someone else's
> question about the status of Chameleon and Google App Engine.
> By the time I looked at the archive the window had rolled past so I
> don't know if anyone answered.  (I know I could ask again; just trying
> to get things configured so that this doesn't happen often.)

At http://irclog.turbogears.org/archive/freenode/repoze# if you click on
"Browse Archive", then click the forward arrow that shows up, you will see the
entire day's traffic.  Unfortunately the month/day/year dropdowns don't work,
but you can change the URL to see previous days.

> Judging from the channel name list, most people here are connected to
> freenode at all times.
>
> So, the ChatZilla Firefox plugin I started with is probably is not
> going to serve me well.  I tried toying with Pidgin and now irssi.
> What are most people here using as a client?

I use a Mac, so I use Colloquy myself.  When I used Linux, I used XChat.  But
anything works.

> Is there some other way to use the channel archive or a different
> archive?  Hopefully, there will always be a live (awake) person
> to talk to, but with different timezones and such and network
> connections that might go out, I hate to end up asking "Did someone
> answer my question?".  (Or repost the same question to the mailing
> list because I missed the answer.)

Hopefully the archive trick above helps.