On Sun, 2010-05-09 at 17:10 +0200, Charlie Clark wrote:
> >> I guess it should be "pstruct" in the second sentence.
> > Yes.  Fixed, thanks.
>
> This leads to the following definitions:
>
> "Usually, when used in deform, a pstruct is composed entirely of lists,
> dictionaries, strings, and file objects."
> "Usually, when used in deform, a cstruct is composed entirely of lists,
> dictionaries, strings, and file objects."
>
> Clearly additional explanation is required otherwise pstruct and cstruct
> seem equivalent where they may only be analogous.

Yes.  I should just remove the definitions in the glossary because they
are actually defined better in the chapter I linked to.

> Looking at the "data trip" I am vaguely reminded of mathematical
> transformations and wonder if that metaphor might not be useful in this
> context - putting the various representations/structures in the CAST
> quadrants. OTOH I never really understood it back then! ;-)
>
> Would we have 4 quadrants? Storage, Application, Network and Browser?

No idea, I about flunked math.

> Another area where I find the semantics getting in the way:
>
> "For each schema node in the schema provided by the application developer,
> Deform creates a field. This happens recursively for each element in the
> schema. As a result, a tree of fields is created, mirroring the nodes in
> the schema."
>
> Elements and nodes are interchangeable? If so I would suggest sticking
> with one term in general and using metaphors consistently: graphs have
> nodes, trees have leaves and compounds are made up of elements. So that "a
> tree of fields is created which mirrors the tree of elements in the
> schema" or some such as I'm not too happy with that either. I think the
> important thing is the ability to nest elements of the schema.

I've replaced all uses of "element" with "node".

> And finally "form controls" refers to "A sequence of form fields". I find
> this definition misleading but possibly only because it is too brief. I
> think form controls were the representation of the fields by the browser,
> but that this definition comes from GUI-programming as isn't directly
> relevant here.

The distinction I'm trying to make is the raw data given to us as the
result of a form submission (currently "controls" vs. the data that
peppercorn returns (pstruct)).

>  But that wouldn't fit in the sentence "Deform passes a set
> of form controls to the parse method". Why doesn't it just pass the set of
> form fields?

Because we use the word "field" elsewhere.  I was trying to not overlap
the vocabulary.  I probably failed in places.

> Sorry, if this is all to picky at the level of the language. I'll try and
> provide some more useful feedback with a test application this week as
> this suits my needs for my planned port of begeistert.org to BFG.

Cool.

- C