Title: Copy Editor
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Duration: Jul - Aug, 2009
Edits self-study, computer-based, continuing professional education (CPE)
courses. Inputs author, technical reviewer, technical editor, and copyedit
changes into Word or XML. Builds courses and reviews them for layout, style,
grammar, and readability. Reviews and revises courses as necessary to meet
all applicable regulatory guidelines. Coordinates with editorial associates,
technical editors, conversion service coordinators, and project managers to
build and release courses. Completes other assigned writing and online
a) Course Development
· Develops and edits new and existing computer-based CPE courses.
· Edits self-study computer-based CPE courses for correct grammar,
spelling, and punctuation and completes related stages of production by or
· Advises editorial associates, technical editors, and project managers
of inconsistencies or other incompatibilities in manuscripts that need
· Ensures course compliance with applicable regulatory guidelines.
b) Course Conversion
· Runs data conversion and translation programs, resolves errors and
implements corrections to data.
· Develops PDF course supplements.
· Works within software to create and build courses.
· On-screen review of product in courseware shell and compare course
with final source material (Word or XML).
c) Completes other writing and online special projects as requested by
management. Additional duties may include:
· Removing the PASS Online codes from the RTF files prior to processing
· Drafting the course announcements.
· Creating the pilot testing requests.
· Preparing binders of the course materials for the technical editors
so that they may perform their reviews of the courses.
· Bookmarking the glossary in the PASS Online authoring tool as part of
the software course development process.
· Adding bookmarks for PASS Online quiz questions.
· Responsible for developing numerous computer-based CPE courses on a
set production schedule
· Responsible for meeting editorial deadlines to ensure that courses
are available when advertised
Unique Knowledge & Skill Requirements:
· A two-year degree from an accredited college, university, or
technical school. In lieu of a degree, 2+ years of work experience in a
· Word-processing skills, preferably with comprehensive knowledge of
Microsoft Word, experience in XML-authoring programs, or HTML tagging
· Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
· Balancing multiple tasks while working with a variety of people to
· Basic copyediting skills, including grammar and spelling
Limited interaction with course authors and outside technical reviewers to
ensure that the content is technically accurate and that the course complies
with applicable regulatory standards
· Technical editors daily or weekly to obtain subject matter assistance
in course preparation
· Editorial associates daily to obtain technical assistance in course
preparation and to prepare and deliver online course content to the
conversion service coordinators
· Conversion service coordinators to prepare and deliver online course
· Project managers daily to coordinate course review
· Other management daily or weekly to receive direction from and assist
with other writing projects
Problem Solving & Decision Making:
a. Types of decisions made by this position on a regular basis:
· Course content decisions relating to the creation and updating of
self-study courses, including layout, style, grammar, and readability
· Editorial decisions related to development of learning objectives,
study questions, test questions, and remediation
b. Types of decisions referred to the next level:
· Interpretation of regulatory requirements
· Capital expenditures
· Interpretation of department and company policies
· 1 – 2 years experience required
· Minimum 2 year degree; BA in English is preferred.
· Top Three Skills Required: 1. Proofreading 2. Attention to
Detail 3. Word Processing/Typing Skills
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
To post to this group, send email to email@example.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
For more options, visit this group at