Just a quick followup: so far I can't reproduce the problem when I set
the compilation value to <init compile="false"/> but I can reproduce it
when I set it to lazy or true, leading me to believe that the problem is
in the code branch that does the compilation and not the code branch
that runs the page in interpreted mode.

So I have a workaround, but obviously lose the performance advantage of
having a compiled version...

Thanks